Western Digital WD Elements 1 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive | Unlike my other portable External Hard drive, I keep this one on my desk next to my computer so I can plug it in and back up material immediately without my usual procrastination. I have not always been diligent about backing up my data and I have paid a heavy price for this lapse in judgment.

This drive, unlike my previous external drives, does not use two USB plugs, but has one electric plug and one USB. Less of a drain on the computer's resources, I presume. It also may account for the very reasonable price. Whatever the reason, it's just what I needed and I am very pleased with it.

I should also mention that it is dead quiet: ABSOLUTELY silent. Yes, there is a tiny LED light on the back (I have it sitting backwards so the plugs are accessible) and the computer tells me it's there, but otherwise, you'd never know. Others have mentioned this, and I will too: NO bloatware on it. Western Digital Elements 1 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive It's just storage. You don't have any special formatting to deal with, no proprietary applications to delete. I got mine for less than 70 dollars. I notice that the price has gone back up to about 90, but it's still a huge bargain.

I have it standing on it's side. It sits nice and steady that way and I have no reason to worry that it's going to fall over. You don't need to know much of anything at all to use it. It's a big, empty virtual closet to put all your data in. Photos, videos, documents, whatever: not a hiccup or a glitch or any kind and it never gets even a little bit warm. Does not seem to generate any heat at all. Read more →