There are two kinds of people in the world. Those that carry a knife everywhere, and people that will one day wish they carried a knife everyday. I've converted a long time ago to one who must always have a blade. 


The included folding knife is pretty good quality (proviso: made in China). It was pretty stiff and didn't lock back without help for the first few uses, but after a little break-in it's fine. The steel is good quality and the machining is way higher than I'd expect from a "under $30.00" knife. It takes a sharpening well. I've used mostly diamond sharpeners, but when I have time and want to relax, I'll bust out the oil stones. This knife Gerber 31-000674 MP450 Compact Sport Multi Tool and Paraframe I takes on a good edge, especially for stainless - never as sharp or hard as high carbon, but a good knife all the same. The only real con to the knife is that the open paraframe design leaves the blade accessible to small pocket items including dirt, pens, coins, etc. Using the belt clip to keep it high in your pocket works well, but remember at all times, there's a sharp edge hiding just behind the steel handle edges. It was hard to get the clip on and off for the first many uses too. 

I meant to write about the Gerber 31-000674 MP450 Compact Sport Multi Tool and Paraframe I. The multi-tools from Gerber keep getting better and better. Note: multi-tool made in USA. The machining is excellent, the plier tips line up exactly - which lets you do even precision work with accuracy. The knife has a weird straight edge and reverse scalloping edge to it. I've seen that type of blade on on some newer knives, but I'm not sold yet. It's a good tough blade though. The other tool parts are well done too. The file is strong and well cut. They all lock positively and work fine, though I use the tool almost always as pliers. 

Summary: It's simple, light and strong, a great deal for the price, basic, and very well made. You'll do well with this tool combo. For the price and intended application, 5 stars.